With it being the new year I decided I wanted to try to eat a bit healthier so I decided to make some healthier recipes! I was a bit nervous how these would come out but they taste delicious. You can enjoy a cupcake and feel a little bit less guilty! Beets are packed with folate, manganese, potassium, iron, vitamin C, and loaded with fiber!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 14 oz can beets drained and pureed
- 1/2 cup sugar or stevia
- 1/3 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (divided)
- 2oz low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 24 cup mini muffin pan with liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat together beets, sugar, yogurt, oil, egg, 1 tsp vanilla extract, until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in wet ingredients. Fold gently until combined.
- Evenly spoon mixture into cupcake liners and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- Meanwhile, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. When the cupcakes are completely cool spread icing evenly across the top of the cupcakes.