I recently had a bunch of carrots and buttermilk in my fridge that I didn’t want to go bad. Here’s my recipe for carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Just a warning, this cream cheese frosting is addictive…
Carrot Cake Ingredients
- unsalted butter, to grease pans
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts (I prefer pecans)
- 6 carrots, grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4th cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4th cups sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup oil
- 3/4th cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 11 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Carrot Cake Preparation
- Preheat oven 350°F. Grease and line 2 round cake pans.
- Place nuts into blender on high speed to chop. Or you can chop the nuts by hand and set aside.
- To your mixer bowl add the flour, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, oil, buttermilk, vanilla and salt, mix until combined and smooth.
- Divide batter into prepared cake pans and bake 40-50 minutes (350°F)
- Set cakes aside to cool while making frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Preparation
- Place softened butter, cream cheese, confectioners sugar and vanilla into mixer and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Start off frosting the top of the base cake. Then, add the second cake layer and frost.
- Add the chopped nuts to the top of the cake or carefully press along the sides.